Friday, April 17, 2009

Patriotism VS Nationalism



Patriotism VS Nationalism

Patriotism;-noun

"Love for or devotion to one's country."



Nationalism;-noun
"Loyalty and devotion to a nation; especially; a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups."


So, nationalism and patriotism, if you don't know the difference then read above because its very important.

Patriotism can be a great motivator to help and contribute to your country, join the military, be happy about paying taxes, community service perhaps. Patriotism should make you happy about where you were born. It enables you to say "I was born in this country, and I'm proud of that."
It should never provoke anger from you, you should never become angry that it was your country. For example, if a terrorist attack kills 50 people in your country, I don't believe it should upset you more so than if the terrorists killed 50 citizens of another country. I see peoples lives equally regardless of ethnicity, nationality, or cultural differences, and I believe Nationalism deters that.

Nationalism is when you believe your country is above other countries. Not that one country can't be more efficient, safer, or less corrupt than another, but you can't believe your country is naturally better. Just an example I can take off the top of my head, radically religious nationalists state that the U.S. is above other nations simply because God blesses it in some way, as if God is watching over our country and holding our hand, while letting the rest of the world do whatever the fuck it wants to. Anyone with a rational mind would question this, as they should. Nationalists can become a real life problem though, they ignore their countries problems because they don't believe it has any, or possibly could have any. Do you know what happens if you ignore a problem? It usually never gets solved (if it doesn't get bigger). So I'll wrap this up...

Do you believe nationalists are a real threat to a country's well-being? What countries do you think have die hard nationalists? How bad is the US compared to others? Do you like your country? Do you love your country? If yes, how much? Would you die for it? Do you even agree with my point of view? If not, state your own and discuss.

Personally I don't consider myself patriotic. I'm glad I was born in a modern country where I don't have to struggle to survive. I don't have to join a militia or street gang like Somalia or other southern African countries. I don't see me being born in the USA anything more than luck really, I'm certainly not proud of my luck, I don't see any reason to be. I also don't hate my country, so please don't imply otherwise. Ive never done anything purely 'for my country' and I doubt I ever will.


0 comments: