Friday, January 23, 2009

Abstract Titles From All Around



I'm arguing with myself if I should use titles that are actually relevant to the content in my posts. Let me know your opinion.

So theres a new study out about video games, conducted by the BYU which stands for the Brigham Young University. Its a Mormon college in Utah, Mormons in Utah!? Yeah I was as shocked as you.

The study details went as followed...

"Participants included 813 undergraduate students (500 young women, 313 young men, M age = 20...) who were mainly European American (79%), unmarried (100%) and living outside their parents’ home (90%)."


The BYU concluded that...

*The more the students play video games, the worse their relationships are with friends and parents (although this effect is modest)

*Those who play video games daily smoke pot twice as much as other players and three times more than those who never play

*Young women who play often have lower self-esteem


In related News, I have concluded that BYU university has a stoner problem and needs to figure out why its female students have such low self esteem. But to be honest Id smoke too if I lived in fucking Utah and went to BYU. If I was a Mormon girl expected to marry and have 10+ children Id also have low self esteem, I don't blame these people at all. I think the study is completely accurate at a second glance.

The study was (as read above) done with a pool of 813 of BYU's students in Utah. Thats a poor representation of the entire gaming community aswell.

Not too mention the NPD released their own study in 2008 that found that over 60% of the entire U.S. population play video games regularly.
20,000 were surveyed in that study. A much larger pool than the BYU's lonely 813 of their own students.

Its so hard to pick apart every flaw this BYU study has, It would take so long. Its a pool of only their own students, which are mainly Mormons. The people pooled were a median age of 20. It was taken in only one state with a tiny amount of people.

Its just a bad study with messed up results. Have you ever been in school doing a report, then when you show it to your teacher he/she immediately points out that your conclusion can't be right then quickly figures out why you messed up and corrects it?
I'm having flashbacks...



0 comments: