Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Lets stop when Enough is Enough



This blog is about the Punk Culture or even the 'anti-culture' in general.

I like music...a lot, specifically Punk music. Which is a very wide reaching umbrella with many many categories that fit under that term 'Punk'.

I love *breaths in* Acoustic, Folk, Anarchistic, Political, Hardcore, Ska, Fusion, Crossover, Progressive, Speed, Punk music *phew*. I enjoy my bands and I love finding new ones.
You can argue with the labels I used but you don't know my music taste that well so Shut the fuck up before you argue with me, about me, you ignorant douche.

Jay enjoys a bunch of different bands is what I'm trying to say. It's hard to label original bands since.....well their original and new *duh*. The music they create has never, or rarely, been done before so there's not really an appropriate label to assign them.

(Getting back on topic)
Under this umbrella I enjoy (Like I said) Political Punk Bands, but one thing I ALWAYS notice, something that way too many bands do, something that plagues bands I would otherwise I enjoy, something that gives me a biased first impression, something that right-away turns me away from a band, is when I see cliches...

Cliches such as but not limited to oppressiveness, conformity, youth,
the U.S.A. sucking, alcohol, and more not currently in my mind.

I don't know what alternative topics would be but, I know what needs to stop,
Regurgitation needs to stop.

The US government makes you mad...I know...Shut up about it already you whiny bitch.
The only thing I hate more than the government is people who preach about hating the government, (well that, and conspiracy theorists but that's for another time).

Ive been to too many shows featuring bands I completely forgot about the second their set was finished not because their shitty, average music (I shouldn't be one to talk) but because their freakish unoriginality. Song after song about how life sucks, how the government rapes us teens, how the government rapes the world, how Bush blows, and more blah blah blah. I want a band not to talk about a different subject, but a band that will speak about a subject with a new approach, show the same old in a new light, a band that will refresh this outdated status quo of yesterday.

It's one of the main reasons Dead Kennedy's are my favorite band of all time. Jello's lyrics showed the government sucked but it implemented satire and comedy, something by even today's standards, is lacking in music. I'm not saying I want a DK wannabe band, or a satirical band. No, I want a band to put something in their music that hasn't been done or rarely been done before. I don't know specifically so I can't give you an example unfortunately. If I knew what I am looking for I would've already done it myself.

Punk is only still alive because of its ability to alter itself. Punk evolves, or at least I believe it does but if your one of those assholes who bitches that minor threat is the only real punk and whatever else 'classic punk' is the real, only punk, then you can go fuck yourself.

-Love Jay Riot


The 'Punk' label reaches all kinds of different bands and forms of music and I think its great to see. I don't know how to explain how I know a Punk band when I see a one but I know. It's all about perspective really, that's it.

I'm suffocating for original, fresh bands. Ive seen too many previously-played bands.
I want variety, I demand variety.

I absolutely cannot stand listening to one genre for too long, or listening to same-sounding bands too long. I explained my open minded musical taste above but just to further paint my imagine in your head...

I enjoy Metal to Pop-ish bands, Acoustic to Thrash bands, Political to Carefree bands, Pessimistic to Optimistic and everything in between bands.

Do you get my point yet? You probably do.

"Lets stop when Enough is Enough"


1 comments:

Matthew Kimball said...

I also like to hear political lyrics with not only satire and comedy, but which put words into action. Nothing is better than getting your listener to actually THINK and become motivated to do something.

-Matt